Thursday, February 5, 2009

Darwin and Lincoln- Same Birthday, Different Achievements

It turns out, readers, that former president Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) shares the same birthday (February 12) as famed British Naturalist Charles Darwin (1809-1882). Now, we've all celebrated Lincoln for his accomplishments during he American Civil War. He freed the slaves in the Confederacy with the Emancipation Proclamation (did I spell that right?), kept the nation united and beat the South. Charles Darwin, on the other hand, didn't do THAT much, but, he did do one MAJOR thing. His book, On the Origin of Species, is one of the most controversial, yet widely accepted published piece of scientific work in history. And, yet, it was able to change the way we humans (Homo sapiens sapiens) view ourselves and the natural world around us. How's that for an accomplishment? However, Darwin has also recieved the most attacks by the public (namely "Christians" who are labeled by "Darwinians" as "Creationists").

Today, Brian Switek, over at Laelaps, did a very similar post on Lincoln and Darwin. I mainly skimmed through and it seems he was comparing the two. Makes sense, right? Why not, as they share the same birthday, you're asking me. Well, I won't do that. Why? The reason is, well, there's no point in comparing these men. They had VERY different professions and were VERY different men. They should both be remembered honorably and not compared. Charles Darwin was a naturalist and is controversial. Abraham Lincoln was a politician and the 16th President (1861-1865) of the United States. You can compare President Obama to Lincoln. You can compare Jean-Baptiste Lamarck to Darwin. But, by NO means, should these two great men be compared.

6 comments:

Dino Gal 097 said...

I didn't know Dawin and Lincoln shared the same birthday (i'm australian I dont know THAT much about US presidents, although i know enough to get me by)...interesting.

Raptor Lewis said...

Dino Gal 097- Yeah, don't worry about it. I don't expect my readers to know EVERYTHING about what I post. In fact, I might do a little history lesson at some point on Darwin and Lincoln.

Dinorider d'Andoandor said...

"Creationist" is a better way of saying that, a creatonist may be Jude, Muslim, etc. So that's an incorrect expression if you see it that way.
BTW I always welcome it when someone corrects me. Sometimes I'm really careless about what I do.

Raptor Lewis said...

Dinorider- I appreciate your efforts to correct me, but, I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Can you please repeat yourself?

Dinorider d'Andoandor said...

Oh no, I wasn't correcting you because you weren't wrong. I just wanted to criticize when other people use "christian" instead of "creationist". There are other religious groups sharing those ideas.

Raptor Lewis said...

Dinorider- Oh...I understand now. But, you're right about other religious groups sharing those ideas. However, Christians seem to be the majority of the religious populations attacking Evolution and Charles Darwin for that matter.