Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Origin of Raptor Lewis, Part One

For the past few months, I'm sure a good deal of you readers have wondered the same question: "Where did his interest in paleontology and dinosaurs come from?" Well, since y'all asked, I'll oblige with a whole post of it's own.



First of all, I always had an interest in dinosaurs. However, it hasn't been as intense as it is now. My interest had some wierd beginnings. To start off, I think I'll give you some of my background. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of high-functioning Autism. With this developmental disorder, I also have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.) That will explain where my attention goes from paleontology.


My interest comes from two things. One of those things may sound very bizarre. That, readers, was Nintendo's Pokemon. Bizarre, right? I thought so. I also had the privelage to go to some very cool museums (more on that in another post.) The reason Pokemon had some influence on my interest in paleontology and fossils were the prehistoric pokemon or fossil pokemon.






Aerodactyl


One of the fossil pokemon and any Pterosaur's "poke" counterpart.
















Omanite (looks familiar, don't it?)














Pokemon has some references to paleontology as you can see. Hopefully, you won't think I'm crazy...


To Be Continued....






3 comments:

Trilobite said...

Interesting post. I wouldn'y be at all surprised to learn that a lot of people got into paleontology through pokemon.

"Walking in tall grass looking for pokemon" can easily turn into "scrabbling around in the rocks looking for fossils."

I'm looking forward to part 2!

Naveed said...

Ah yes pokemon...haha I love the looks of pokemon. Not to mention the gameboy games are addictive...and they do have a lot of prehistoric inspired critters. Always a plus!

Raptor Lewis said...

I know, I was OBSESSED with Pokemon when I was a kid.