Friday, November 7, 2008

Authors Have a Curse.....Death!!!

For me, a fallback from Paleontology was to be an author like Michael Crichton or an artist. However, every so often I've noticed that a lot of the best authors in the world have died. (e.g. J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, William Golding, Shakespeare, Michael Crichton, etc.) Is it just me, or do authors have a tendency to die before retirement or in their prime? Sure, the rest of them died in their 70s or 80s (except Shakespeare and Crichton) but, not Crichton. He passed away in his 60s. HIS 60s!!!!! That's his prime. The culprit? Cancer!!! Still, I do NOT want to be an author because, of their tendency to die. I don't know why. I'm probably paranoid, I know. But, it just doesn't make any sense!!! Authors w/ curse, apparently, = Death!!! This is very strange!!

5 comments:

Naveed said...

Well they either die, or get serious or rare diseases and die. I think it was Robert Jordan who just died in the last few years from a rare blood disease if I remember correctly.

Then there is the great Terry Pratchett who is battling Alzheimer's. It's always the good authors.

Perhaps so so authors live long. You know, not great, but not bad either.

Traumador said...

if it makes you feel any better a bunch of those authors would have been over a 100 years old these days had they not died (tolkien and lewis in particular), and they died of old age ;p

Gee said...

Well one theory I've just come up with is that a lot of authors have a tendency to, like any artist, worry an awful lot (my writing's rubbish, I'll never get this published, etc) and so maybe nervous tendencies and stress lead to health problems later in life.

Either that or, you know, they're cursed. One of the two.

Raptor Lewis said...

Thanks guys. You made me feel better.

Stroppy Author said...

I'm a writer and I'm not dead! It doesn't always happen. (Hope I don't drop dead now...)